My Girl Grace

An ongoing diary of my wonderful warmblood mare Grace and our quest into the world of Natural Horsemanship - together.

My Photo
Name:
Location: South Wales, United Kingdom

Sunday, May 28, 2006

Pride Before A Fall

Felt proud as punch this morning, going for my first ride on Grace!

Collected her from her field. Gave her a groom and tacked her up in all her spanking new tack.

I thought I would lead her out with two other horses from the yard and then jump on and ride home. I thought this would give her confidence.

The walking out was great. Grace led all the way and seemed in a really happy mood. I found a style to mount her from and got on. Instantly that I got on she started arching her back and being ticklish and when I asked her to walk forward she gave a little buck. The more I asked,the more she bucked and eventually gave a big buck and I fell off!

A little background. Grace had her saddle fitted professionally by a local saddler. When she went to Shelia she said it didn't fit and wouldn't ise it to back Grace. She used a Wintec which Grace got on fine with. As soon as Grace came home I got the saddler back out to look at the saddle and he said it fitted fine. Catch 22 from my position! I've never been any good at arguing!

So - basically this has proved that Grace doesn't like the saddle.

My barefoot trimmer came out today (fab woman!) and she does Kineaseology. She basically asked Grace about the saddle and Grace 'told' her that the saddle hurts her shoulders. She realised that Grace is also really tight in her shoulders as a result of her having slight twists in her hooves that we are rectifying.

So, saddle is going back (Grace also 'said' she wanted a Wintec!!!!!). I will ride bareback and do lots of shoulder massage on Grace till this is all sorted.

So its all OK, and apart from a big bruise on the bum and a slight crush to my spirits - tomorrow is another day!

2 Comments:

Blogger Claire said...

is your saddle fitter a qualified saddle fitter?

well, you'll have read all the posts on the subject of saddle fitting. learn to argue, I think!!!!!

9:00 pm  
Blogger Toni said...

He is qualified - but not enough I don't think!

Grace is obviously more qualified in what feels ok on her back!

I'm going over to the stables now and am going to take her out for a quick ride bareback. Don't want her to have any confidence issues .. wish me luck!

9:36 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home