My Girl Grace

An ongoing diary of my wonderful warmblood mare Grace and our quest into the world of Natural Horsemanship - together.

My Photo
Name:
Location: South Wales, United Kingdom

Thursday, May 18, 2006

Email Diary - Graces Progress at Gilfach!

An email diary of Graces progress from Sheila at Gilfach Farm;

29.04.06
Hi Toni

I am glad you would like to come up and meet us with a view to sending your mare up to us (and I am chuffed that you have been given recommendations too!).

I am here all of the time, more or less, but weekend are beginning to get pretty manic now, so if you could come during the week, that would be great. If this is going to be awkward for you, then Sundays after about 4pm are usually ok. At the moment, I would be able to take your horse from April 22nd, as I will then be able to devote more time to her.

Let me know when you'd be able to come up for a visit, and we can go from there

........................................................................................
20.04.06
Hi Toni

Just thought I'd drop you a line to make sure all is ok for Saturday. You must be very anxious about sending your "girl" away! Don't be - all the horses that pass through the Gilfach gates are very happy here, and leave as contented, educated and motivated geegees!

Could you let me know how to get to you, and what time you would like me to arrive on Saturday? I was thinking that it might be nice for you to spend some time with her on the Sunday - if you are free, so that I can see where she's at with you, and for her to settle in to her new environment with her "mummy". The choice is yours though.

Look forward to hearing from you soon.

...............................................................................................
03.05.06
Hi Toni

No probs with the vaccinations. The vet is coming on May 9th to do them.

Grace is well and truely in season at the moment - and proving a little challenging! Have you witnessed her in season before? She's a wee bit fidgety on the yard (especially when the stallions around!), but to work with, she's the same quiet, calm Grace that I know and love!

Speak to you soon.

...............................................................................................
09.05.06
Hi Toni

Grace was good as gold for the first of her three flu/tetnus jabs.

She's been a little bit temperamental recently. Still seriously in season! We are making progress, a bit slower than I thought at the beginning. Lots of work with the false legs, lots of mounting, dismounting.

Had my first proper ride on her today. Just up and down the yard, being led, but using the rider aids at the same time. She was fine - rather reluctant to go forward, but I prefer it that way!

My feeling is that her previous owner may have started her backing, but gave up at a bad point, so we don't have a totally blank canvass to work with here, but its doable. (We've had a couple of rearing up episodes and a few total freaks - for no apparent reason - other than memory).

But, don't worry. Grace seems very happy, and has made lots of friends, and she's looking great!

Speak to you later,

Sheila

.........................................................................................
10.05.06
Hi Toni

Don't worry!

Its nothing I can't work through with Grace, but it is important that you know how she has behaved - for the future. I like all of the horses I work with to be totally happy with the intensity and progress - which Grace has been, its just every now and again, she seems to say "I've been here before, and I didin't like it last time" - so hopefully, if we do it right this time, she will change her opinion!

We made good progress today. A ride and lead hack (with legs), then a good walk up and down the yard with me on her, giving her the rider aids. She was much more willing today, and seems to be happy with what we are asking of her. I am going to start the hacking out with her (me on her) this weekend, so it shouldn't be too long before she's back with you and you can continue the progress with her yourself!

She sends her love!

Speak to you soon.

.......................................................................................
11.05.06
hi Toni

Really good news!

After long reining grace down the lane past a few cars, barking dog, loose sheep, etc - to which she didn't bat an eyelid), I did my usual mounting and dismounting routine (again, good as gold), and asked her to walk up and down the yard. My groom gave her a bit of support initially, but she soon gained confidence and understanding. We then went for a walk around the farm yard and into the outdoor school. She was great! So I'm well pleased that she has decided to go with us rather than against.

I'm giving her a day off tomorrow, then will try a hack out on Sat. If all is well, maybe you would like to come out (either on one of my horses, or on Grace) when you come up on Sunday.

Speak to you soon.

........................................................................................
18.05.06
Hi Toni

Friday morning is fine by me for you to come up and see Grace - see you at 9ish!

I can bring her home on Fri 26th and could get to you at around 6pm (latest,as Hugh comes home on a Friday evening!).

I haven't been billed for Grace yet for her flu and tet jabs. You have left me a blank cheque (!!!), so I can let you know how much it is at the end of the month when I get the bill. I can ask the vet to give me a vacc certificate for grace's first jabs, but it would be better put on her passport when you get it. I will ask the vet what is best.

Did some basic schooling in walk with Grace today. She was excellent!

See you Fri!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home